An emerging concern in public health is the growing number of drug-resistant infectious bacteria, also known as “super bugs” and their evolving resistance to antibiotics. Commonly used antibiotics are quickly becoming ineffective against increasing infections. Drug resistance makes it significantly harder and more expensive to treat an infection and can lead to some of the worst outcomes for the patient. Alarmingly, the number of drug-resistant infections is increasing worldwide indicating the potential for a pandemic. For example, in Britain, the number of deaths from drug-resistant infections increased from 3,757 in 2005 to 8,324 in 2008 (Boseley, 2008).
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
One of the greatest concerns with regard to drug-resistant bacteria is tuberculosis, which can cause fatal lung infections. Almost every country is reported to have cases of tuberculosis that are resistant to standard first-line drugs. Fifty-eight countries have reported at least one case that is resistant to standard first- and second-line drugs (WHO, 2010).
Using the Argosy University online library resources, find at least two journal articles that address the issue of super bugs and respond to the following:
- Select one type of drug-resistant infectious bacteria, for example, multidrug-resistant tuberculosis bacteria or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus(MRSA). Determine the countries that have the highest concentrations of this infection. Include the country and location. State how many new cases were reported within the last five years in the U.S.
- Identify the bacteria that caused the highest number of drug-resistant infections in the U.S. How do these numbers differ from other countries?
- Examine how public health officials are attempting to control and potentially eliminate drug-resistant bacteria.
- Explain your opinion on the likelihood of drug-resistant bacteria causing a pandemic and the severity of this pandemic.
Support your statements with scholarly references and appropriate examples.
Write your initial response in approximately 350 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
By Saturday, February 23, 2013, post your response to the appropriate Discussion Area. Through Wednesday, February 27, 2013, review and comment on at least two peers’ responses. Consider the following:
- Do you agree with your fellow students’ assessments?
- How do your numbers differ from what they posted?
- How does the evidence they presented support the reported numbers?
- What do you think about the public health efforts in place to address this issue?
- What do you think about their assessment for a pandemic? Use the literature to support your statements.
Boseley, S. (2008, August 29). Deaths from hospital bug up by 28%. The Guardian. Retrieved from
World Health Organization (WHO). (2010). 2010/2011 tuberculosis global facts. Retrieved from
Grading Criteria and Rubric
Psychology homework help