Assignment 1: Discussion—Technology and Strategic/Competitive Position
Apple Inc. is known for its state-of-the-art designs for products such as the iPhone, but most are unaware that Apple has used technology to streamline its supply chain management and operational systems to provide competitive pricing. This use of technology has allowed the company to under price its competitors and yet maintain a 25 percent margin on their products. The use of information technology has provided Apple with a strategic and competitive position which most of their competitors find difficult to match or exceed.
Using a real-world example from your research, analyze how information systems affect the firm’s strategic and competitive position.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Using the assigned readings and the University online library resources, explain how information technology:
- Impacts competitive rivalry, such as pricing, promotion, and distribution
- Enables or dissuades new entrants
- Enables customers to achieve greater bargaining power
- Enables suppliers to gain more bargaining power
- Gives rise to substitute products or services that threaten the existing market
Give reasons and examples from your research to support your responses.
Write your initial response in approximately 2 pages. Apply APA standards to citation of sources
Assignment 2: Scanners and Xerox
With the advent of scanners and the universality of the portable document format (PDF), the market for optical copiers is shrinking rapidly. Can a company such as Xerox Corporation survive? In this assignment, you will address this question.
Research the issues faced by Xerox from 2000–2010 and the solutions found using the assigned readings, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet. Specifically review the company’s annual report at the following:
- Xerox Corporation http://www.xerox.com
Respond to the following:
- Identify multiple business pressures on Xerox.
- Describe some of the company’s response strategies.
- Identify the role of IT as a contributor to the business technology pressures (for example, obsolescence).
- Identify the role of IT as a facilitator of Xerox’s critical response activities.
- Support your positions with reasons and examples based on your research.
Write a 2–3-page paper in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
Assignment 2 Grading Criteria
Described the problems and solutions of Xerox from 2000–2010.
Identified multiple business pressures on Xerox.
Discussed Xerox’s response strategies.
Identified the role of IT as a contributor to the business technology pressures (for example, obsolescence).
Identified the role of IT as a facilitator of Xerox’s critical response activities.
- From the textbook Management information systems: Managing the digital firm (11th ed.), read the following chapter:
- From the Argosy University online library resources read:
- Stewart, R. A. (2008). A framework for the life cycle management of information technology projects: ProjectIT. International Journal of Project Management, 26(2), 203–212. doi:10.1016/j.ijproman.2007.05.013
Business & Finance homework help