Business and Society – Assignment 4
Module 4: Internal Forces and…
Module 4 Assignment: Stakeholder Responsibilities in Consumer Protection
In this module, you explored a number of issues relating to internal stakeholders and internal forces in organizations. In this assignment, which will count for 15 per cent of your mark, you will explore an employee issue relating to diversity, and a consumer issue.
In Part A, a case study, you will examine how diversity issues regarding race influence organizational policies and decision making.
In Part B, also a case study, you will explore an important consumer protection issue —prescription medicines—and its impact on stakeholders associated with Merck & Co. You will examine forces and factors influencing decision making, as well as various stakeholder perspectives.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Part A: Instructions
- Read the Case Study: “The Case of the Unequal Opportunity” by M. C. Gentile (1991, July/August), Harvard Business Review, Volume 69, Issue 4, pages 14–25.
- Then, read the article “Making Differences Matter: A New Paradigm for Managing Diversity” by David A. Thomas and Robin J. Ely (October, 1996) in Harvard Business Review,Volume 74, Issue 5, pages 79–90.
Both these articles are available through Thompson Rivers University’s Distance, Regional & Open Learning (DROL) Library Services.
Answer the following questions with regard to the case study by M. C. Gentile. You should demonstrate your ability to incorporate and integrate your learning from all aspects of this module. Ensure that you include information from the course material, the readings, your journal, and your own research.
- Question 1. In “The Case of the Unequal Opportunity,” the company’s workplace equity policy is clear. In your opinion, which paradigm does the company use to manage diversity? Defend your position. (5 marks)
- Question 2. What should Wollen do? Consider the impact of her recommendations or decisions with regard to this situation on her own career, on Lewis’s career, and on the company as a whole. Is your perspective influenced by the company’s orientation towards diversity that you identified in Question 1? Explain why or why not. (30 marks)
Part B: Instructions
- Read the Case Study: “Merck, the FDA, and the Vioxx Recall” on pages 480-489 in your textbook.
Write a 2500-word double-spaced report containing the following:
- Section 1: Do you believe that Merck acted in a socially responsible manner with regard to the development and testing of Vioxx? Explain why and/or why not. (15 marks)
- Section 2: Do you believe that Merck acted in a socially responsible manner with regard to Vioxx in its relations with customers and sharholders? Explain why and/or why not. (10 marks)
- Section 3: Do you believe that Merck acted in a socially responsible manner with regard to the marketing and advertising of Vioxx? Explain why and/or why not. (15 marks)
- Section 4: Do you believe that Merck acted in a socially responsible manner with regard to Vioxx in its relationships with government policy makers and regulators? Explain why and/or why not. (15 marks)
- Section 5: Do you believe that Merck’s voluntary public recall of Vioxx was an act of corporate social responsiblity? Explain why and/or why not. (10 marks
Government homework help